Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Jumping into the deep end




In the beginning of my training, I took a very passive role. I was told to observe and only to jump in if the shit hit the fan. I was comfortable with that. It is not a difficult position to be in. I had very little responsibility.

As my training has progressed, I would get to calls with my training officer and most of the time he or she tells me to handle it and then does not say a word unless I really messed something up.

I am in my mid-thirties, so I have some life experience. That being said, I haven't gotten in too many tense situations in my normal every day life. I don't hang out with the kind of people that get into trouble and I tend to avoid people I know to be unstable. I am sure the same could be said for most people.

Now, imagine you are thrown into one of these unfamiliar situations at least once a week with people you don't understand. Additionally, you are expected to handle it in a professional, calm manner as a police officer. People will be looking to you to fix things and protect them. I am finally starting to get the hang of it.

First off, I act like I know what I am doing, even if I don't. People can quickly sense indecision or weakness and will turn on you. You really do not have much time to weigh the pros and cons of your actions. You just have to jump in feet first and do your best.

I have gotten pretty good at ratcheting my intensity level up to 11 at a moments notice. When you deal with people who have hyper adrenaline levels and are pissed off, the only way to get their attention is to scare the shit out of them before they do something you have to take them to jail for. SIT THE HELL DOWN AND SHUT UP OR YOU ARE GOING TO JAIL!

Luckily, I do not have to do that very often and that is not appropriate for all types of people. You have to use your common sense. Most of the time it is just me being a mediator. 90% of the calls I go to, there is no crime. I just let people vent, tell them I understand and smooth things out. I may not understand and I may think they are complete morons, but I am there to keep the peace, not speak my mind.

Even when I am not the "handler" of the call, I jump in and contribute where I can and when I see something negative about to happen. It is a turning point in my training where I actually start feeling like I am a police officer and not just a ride a long.

Jumping in is very important. I see quite a few of the new guys just standing back and not doing anything. I have found the best way to know what to do is to ask. When you arrive on the scene say to the handling officer, "What can I do to help?" Simple, to the point. They will tell you what they want you to do and there attitudes towards you will change for the better. They won't let you drown...much. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment