Thursday, July 8, 2010

Newbie




So I have been working now as a sworn peace officer for a few weeks now and I am just starting to feel like a police officer. The first couple of shifts I had I kind of felt like an imposter or just someone along for the ride. It has nothing to do with the people I work with or my training officer, it is just how I felt being in uniform.

Most of my shifts so far have been special events and airport duty with a patrol shift thrown in there. I think the airport has been my best learning experience so far as the training only lasted 2 days and then I was let loose to wreak havoc. There is really to that much to do at the airport and it is not very complicated.

So my first shift where I really dealt with the public was a concert. Myself and a more experienced officer walked around the concert for 8 hours responding to calls of service (if we could hear the radio) and monitored the alcoholics.

Being that this was my first experience walking around a public area with my uniform and bat belt, it turned out to be a very surreal day. I don't think my hands ever left the vicinity on my weapon for fear of some drunken a-hole grabbing my weapon. In the academy the TAC staff or drill instructors are constantly trying to take your weapons off of your duty belt and if they succeed you pay dearly. So the thought kept popping into my head all day even though logically I knew that it would not happen.

The other thing I am just getting used to is people coming up to me and asking me questions like I have all the answers. Now, at the airport after only working 3 shifts there I pretty much know where everything is, but at the concert I had no friggin' clue where anything was. The good news was that my partner had no more of a clue than I did.

I haven't really done anything super exciting yet, but that is probably a good thing while I am just getting used to being in uniform. I have yelled at a few people and threatened citations, which I cannot write until I get the training, but they don't know that.

I do have to say that everyone I have met at the department has been really cool and patient with my stupid questions. I learn quick, so I am sure that helps.

I will post more as more exciting things happen. I am sure it is just a matter of time as I have some patrol shifts coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment