Thursday, July 8, 2010

Don't reach for an officer's weapon.




Ok, so I am at a concert last week and some drunken moron walks up to me and starts talking to me about how his cousin's brother's former roommate is a cop and at some point of the conversation he decides it is a good idea to touch my expandable baton. I am not sure why he did this, but let me enlighten you on my thought process and very discreet actions. He never noticed being alcohol soaked.

Step 1:
Man reaches forward towards my baton...my hand goes on my 40 caliber sidearm and I think, "Is he really reaching towards my baton?"

Step 2:
Man touches baton...my thumb on my weapon hand opens up my holster and unlatches it as my left hand holds on to my baton and I think, "Ok, don't panic, he is just drunk and a jackass."

At this point I am also thinking about step 3 where he closes his hand on my baton and starts to pull. My weapon would have come out of my holster and he would have been pistol pointed.

I don't know this guy from Adam. So I don't know what his intentions are and I still don't. I was too shocked that he even did that to ask him what the hell he was thinking. I am just telling you what was going on in my head when he did that.

What have we learned from this folks? Don't touch an officer's weapons...ever! I am not sure if it would be more or less dangerous if the officer in question wasn't a rookie and a bit jumpy from all the horror stories he had just heard in the academy. If you do, chances are I am thinking of ways I may have to kill you if you somehow are able to get out my baton and start swinging.

In general, while I am on duty and in uniform I do not like to be touched by people I don't know. If I am working and you walk up behind me and grab me by the shoulder to get my attention, don't be suprised if I do not look happy to see you. You probably just sent a little adrenalin shot through me and took a year off my life.

Rookies are jumpy. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment