Monday, December 5, 2011

I promised myself I wouldn't cry!



I had probably the scariest/best call I have ever been on the other night.  I am going to have to be careful what I say about it as the suspect is going away for a long time and I don't want anything I say here to jeopardize that.  He deserves to go bye bye.

Really, REALLY short version.  Guy with a gun tackled, subdued and arrested.

But, that is not the purpose of this post anyway.  The call was awesome.  Huge adrenaline dump.  We were all done and exhausted after it.  There were only minor injuries to us.  Let me give you some background...

I have been working in my current city for about a year now.  I have earned the trust and respect of 99% of my fellow officers.  They like me and I like them.  However, there is this one crusty veteran that treats me like old white dog shit on the bottom of his shoe.

I would show up to his calls when he asked for backup and he would say something like, "Where is Officer Betterthanyou?"  As if to say, I did not want you, noobtard.  So I stopped showing up at his calls unless he called for me.  Which he never did.  I can take a hint.

We had this stabbing at one of our ghettoish areas.  I show up and he says, "322!  Come stand here and guard this knife."  Does he even know my name?  I don't know.  How about a please/thank you.  I stood on that knife for five hours.  Ugh.

I would take his prisoners to the jail for him when I could.  So that he could stay out and catch more bad guys in his undercover car.  Not so much as a thank you.  In fact, he bullied me in to taking three loser prostitutes one night.  That was the most annoying, longest car ride ever, and I did NOT want to do it.  I am still new, so I took it in the pooper and taxied those three lovely young ladies to the clink.

So, we have this man with a gun call the other night.  I was in the middle of the scrap with three other guys, including Crusty Veteran.  After the craziness is over, this happens:

Crusty Veteran: Hey FlyTrap, do you have latex gloves?
Me: Yes, sir.
Crusty Veteran: Grab the pistol and clear it for me, please.

Holy fucking dogshit, Batman?  Was I recording that?  No I wasn't, shit!  First off, he called me by my first name...and please!.  Also, he asked me to clear the 9mm pistol this dirtbag had tried to kill us with.  That is a huge.  I doubt I would have trusted anyone but myself to clear a loaded weapon and my primary piece of evidence.

At this point, I would have shined his boots, kissed his ass and sucked his....well, maybe not.  It was a big moment for me.  The guy is a genius.  Treats me like shit for months and hands out one compliment.  Now I am ready to give him my first born.

I think it is mostly because I have worked hard to build a positive reputation for myself and he was the one guy I could not get a beat on.  I was convinced if I called out for help, he would run me over on the way, and take my arrest.  LOL.

I may be back to "Hey you!" next week, but for now, call me Captain HAS A NAME!!

SIDENOTE:  Best picture ever!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for making me laugh.You know you've made it when you become a name and not a number.
    On a serious note glad you got the bad guy bundled up without any serious injuries. Now that's a good day.

    ReplyDelete