Monday, September 13, 2010

You can't give me a ticket on the freeway!




This is more of a rant than a post, but it is my blog dammit!

I was in the hospital and a lady walks up to me and says, "Excuse me, sir." I pull my best Officer Friendly voice out and say something like, "Yes, ma'am. How may I be of assistance?" Imagine Superman standing in the wind with his cape flapping behind him and his head held up high. I am sure it was something like that. So she asks, "Is it true that you cannot give me a ticket if I am on the freeway? Since you would be in the jurisdiction of the Highway Patrol."

So I say, "That is true! In fact, if you run from me and cross the border of my city, I have to slam on the brakes before I hit another cities jurisdiction and explode!" Ok, I did not say that, but wouldn't that be awesome?

Ok, so here is the skinny. California Highway Patrol, County Deputy Sheriffs, local city police, college police and some other coppers that I can't think of are all police officers in the state of California. That means they can pull you over anywhere in the state of California.

If you happen to blow by me on the freeway breaking the sound barrier, I may pull you over. Now, I don't like making stops on the freeway, so I will get on my nifty PA system and tell you to exit. You would need to be going pretty damned fast for me to light you up on the freeway or doing something monumentally stupid. I like to stay in my area when I do traffic stops, just in case I am needed by one of my area partners or vice versa and the freeway is freakin' dangerous.

No comments:

Post a Comment